lichess.org
Donate

Most Overrated Films in IMDB Top 250?

@Le-Papa-Penguin So on the Pixar films I mentioned, to elaborate, even if the themes in their most general sense (loneliness, abandonment etc.) are relatable, the way they're presented is not. E.g. in Up you have a guy tying balloons to his house and successfully navigating it, robotically enhanced dogs, something about a bird - I literally had to wiki the plot despite having seen the film. In Finding Nemo you have dopey characters (the same type of infantile humor I originally mentioned) and lazy or worse yet, contradictory sea-life tropes (e.g. "Fish are Friends not food"?, same sick confusion of the ecosystem that makes up Zootopia's plot). In Wall-E you have Robots falling in love? Oh look at the fat people... Hard to think of a more primitive depiction of a dystopia (and yes I've read the Time Machine). But none of this even captures the wit and charm between the lines that such films are lacking (Ratatouille again is a great counterpoint).
Harry Potter - is the most boring film for me, each in particular, and all parts in general.
Ben-Hur - is an awful adaptation of a great book.
The Lord of the Rings - Boredom is terrible
@GrandLapin I have to disagree with you on Wall-E. I thought it was brilliant.
The film had charm, a solid theme, excellent writing, and some pretty dang good symbolism. I'm also a sucker for any film that manages to use silence effectively (see also: Vargtimmen, which is a notable exclusion from the IMDb list). I thought Wall-E was significantly better than Ratatouille.
While on the subject of animated Disney movies, I still am of the opinion that the Great Mouse Detective was the best of the lot, but have resigned myself to the fact that it will never be mentioned in any "greatest film list" debates unless I bring it up.

@S_TANISH
No Marvel film is a "great movie". The status quo for a Marvel film is a decently executed but heavily overrated piece of filler in an American consumer-driven commercial engine which replaced any and all aspects of artistic merit with explosions and punching, chopped up into a 2-hour segment in order to gain more box office revenue, and starring actors chosen purely for their name recognition, with little regard for their talent. Exciting action sequences, expensive sets, attractive stars, and endless jokes draw attention, but to what? The films lack substance. They are essentially modern-day, kid-friendly exploitation films.

An example of a truly great film is American Beauty. The film doesn't use bright lights, loud noises, and the like to distract the viewer from the fact that it has no true purpose beyond corporate demands. Instead, it utilizes phenomenal acting performances (especially by Kevin Spacey and Chris Cooper), quality cinematography, solid writing, and outstanding direction to amplify the themes that it presents.
^Largely correct on Marvel, absolutely disgusting take on Disney and Wall-E. I won't say you're "wrong" for having your opinion, but I find that whole thing to be sick. And maybe "Greatest Mouse Detective" is good, but I have no idea what youre talking about with that, either. @clousems .Also, why have you not answered my private messages lately? I am extremely offended.
@Aollonian You've been sending me private messages?
In general, I'm really bad about reading those things, but I don't recall receiving any from you recently.
Could you try PMing me again?
EDIT: Re: the content of the above-- I haven't seen Ratatouille in a long time, so I may be underrating it. I do believe that WALL-E was a legitimately good movie, however.
With respect to Great Mouse Detective, I like it because it's a Disney movie that didn't try to tone everything down for children. Rare is the movie that has the charm of the pre-Pixar Disney days, but also involves violent home invasions and roofies at a burlesque show.
Also, Vincent Price in a Disney movie is just plain awesome.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.